Monday, June 22, 2009

Toad Dance

I have a new friend.

Early each workday morning, when I walk down the brick sidewalk my husband laid that runs between two flower beds and to the carport, I've been met with a toad. He's a common toad, I guess, not being a toad expert, but he's uncommonly friendly. When he sees me coming, instead of hopping for cover, he watches me go by. If I stop, he just stares at me with mild curiosity.

I'm happy to see him, because toads play an important role in a garden. They eat many insect pests that harm plants. They also add a little charm. Our McToad even posed for photos, as you can see.

If you don't see toads around your house, chances are you either don't have the right environment or are a heavy user of pesticides and chemicals. Toads breathe and drink through their skin (thus the need for moist environments) and are sensitive to toxins. If you have toads, congratulations on having an environment that attracts these bumpy little amphibians.

No comments:

Post a Comment