Monday, June 8, 2009

Do electric lawnmowers work?

After doing my homework and reading about a thousand blog posts, I decided to leap into the future and buy an electric lawnmower. Thanks to all of you who sent suggestions and comments on your experiences.

I went with a corded mower, primarily because I'm not as strong as I used to be and the battery-type mowers are much heavier. The one I bought is quiet, super lightweight, easy to maneuver and could not be simpler to operate. You plug it in and go. No pull-starting an engine, no running to the store for gasoline that smells up the car - and no changing the spark plugs.

I love it. The extension cord doesn't bother me at all. It's easy to mow one strip, then toss the cord into the already-mowed area and just keep moving over. I was a little concerned about thick grass, but it ate right right through my lawn like a hungry sheep.

We have a John Deere for the rest of the two acres, so we use this for a small side yard that is inaccessible because of all the plants, sidewalk, fence, etc.

Would I recommend an electric? You bet. Of course, it's new, and it will take a while to see how well it holds up, but so far, I'm very pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment