Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cara Cara Oranges - Love at First Bite

I had two firsts this past week: I ate my first kumquat (whole!) and tasted my first Cara Cara orange. The Cara Cara is a navel orange cross between the Washington navel and the Brazilian Bahia navel. It was discovered at the Hacienda de Cara Cara in Venezuala. It has juicy rosy pink flesh and is sweet and low in acidity. It's also extremely delicious. It's now my favorite orange.

The Cara Cara will grow well in Southeast Texas; the one I ate was straight was a Master Gardener's yard. It's not easy to find in grocery stores and the season is short, so you can bet I'm planting one as soon as I find a good one grafted locally on dwarf root stock. I'll post a recipe using this fabulous orange later today.

3 comments:

  1. Cara Cara is not a cross between a Washington Navel and a Bahia orange....the Washington and Bahai are the same tree; the names are used interchangeably. The Cara Cara is a MUTATION of a Washington Navel Orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just found a box of these at Trader Joe's! Wrapped in tissue, in a 5lb gift box...Very tasty for $6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found a box of these at Trader Joe's! Wrapped in tissue, in a 5lb gift box...Very tasty for $6.

    ReplyDelete