Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Leapin’ Lizards!

I was strolling through Al Cook’s Nursery looking for inspiration when I stopped to take a close look at a hydrangea, one of my favorite landscaping choices. I swear I felt something staring back at me. I looked closer and there, stretched out on one big leaf and shaded by another, a big ol’ lizard peered at me, then blinked.

As it turns out, he’s not the only one of his kind to find the lush plants at Cook’s a fine place to make a home. Every time a big shipment of plants comes in at the nursery, lizards come with them, from all across the country: California, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama and Georgia. The nursery has become a veritable breeding ground for the critters, who evidently have neither geographic nor skin tone prejudices when choosing a mate.

It seems Al Cook’s has become a lizard farm. They multiple so well people come to the nursery to catch them and take them home to their gardens. If you’re short on lizards, now you know where to get ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment