Friday, May 15, 2009

Alstroemeria psittacina

In the previous blog, I tried to help Judy from Lumberton identify what looks like an alstroemeria, or Peruvian lily.

I'm not sure we got it right, but I am sure about this Alstroemeria psittacina, found in my daughter's Nederland yard. She just moved into her new digs and we're having a lot of fun trying to identify what's there.

This lily is lovely; the deep maroon/purple leaves are a dramatic contrast to the tell-tale spots inside the throat.

1 comment:

  1. I have this in my flower beds and it is one of those flowers that multiply and take over a bed. If you have a small amount be sure and try to figure out a way to contain it or you will have it all over the place. It has something like bulbs underneath the plant. I dug a bunch up and threw the bulbs in the compost pile and now I have a bunch growing there....ha ha.l Mine has gone berserk and has spread everywhere. I love it in cut arrangements but now I have way too much and if anyone would like some I would love to share it.
    clgjag@windstream.net

    ReplyDelete