Monday, May 18, 2009

Baby birds

Around our house, climbing and rambling roses seem to be a favorite spot for birds to build a home for their spring families.

A mockingbird built this well-sheltered nest in the space between a rambler, the wooden fence and a vitex tree.

I was getting ready to weed the bed beneath the vitex when I saw a mockingbird fly from behind the tree. A closer look exposed the nest. I got as close as I could to see what was inside. I spotted a couple of eggs, so I fetched the camera. I had to pull a branch aside, point the camera blindly and hope it was in the right place.

When I looked at the photos, I was surprised to see two babies. Judging by the skin, I'm thinking they are brand-new. Like a proud aunt, I'll be tracking their progress.

Another bird has built a nest in the climbing rose on a trellis in the side yard, but it's too high to see what's inside. I'm thinking I might have to get the ladder out to satisfy my curiosity and see if we have more new birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment