Friday, April 10, 2009

Lunching with Gram on Easter? Take a lily.

"If you have only two pennies left in the world, with the first penny, you should buy rice to feed your family. With the second penny, say the wise Japanese, you should buy a lily. The Japanese understand the importance of dreaming..."
-Japanese Proverb, from "Lilies" Words and Music: Annie Walker”

If my grandmother had a penny to spare after meeting her family's needs, she very well might spend it on her garden - and she certainly understood the importance of dreaming. She didn't have an easy life, but she made the most of it. Her antidote to the disappointments in life - and she had many - was family and flowers.

Each year when I see the banks of pristine white lilies at the altar on Easter morning, I think of her. I think of the purity, sacrifice and loss they symbolize and I think about what I would give for the opportunity to take a lily to her on Easter. I lost my grandmother, who raised me, when I was 20, so the time I could surprise her with a lovely plant on Easter is long gone. If you are blessed to still have your grandmother with you, consider taking her a lily - or other lovely plant - this weekend. Easter lilies can be planted in her garden and bloom again and again.

Many of the nurseries in Southeast Texas have them in stock. I saw some large, healthy ones at Al Cook earlier today ($7.99 - pictured above). Home Depot and Lowe's also had them in stock. Pop them in a pretty basket, add a ribbon and you're good to go.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment